Federation Square is a film and photography friendly location however given the space is busy and used for a variety of events, filming and photography does require a permit.
A film/photography permit ensures the space is used safely and that there is no disruption to events, activations and visitor experience.
Filming with a drone or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) may be permitted at Fed Square but is not guaranteed. Operators will need to provide Fed Square with the required documentation for review and approval. For information regarding this type of filming please refer to the City of Melbourne website.
Filming and photography permits are required for:
- Commercial stills photography
- Television commercials, documentaries, music videos
- Brand promotion
- Low impact filming (see below)
- Major impact filming (see below)
Low impact filming
This is assessed as having minimal impact. This could include but is not limited to:
- A filming activity involving no more than 6 people
- Maximum time onsite is 2 hours
- No more than 2 cameras, 2 tripods, and handheld sound recording equipment
- Public pathways, footpaths and roads must remain accessible No access to power
- Low impact filming will not incur a cost
Major impact filming
This is assessed as having an impact on the site with extensive equipment and crew and could include but is not limited to:
- A filming activity involving more than 6 people
- Equipment including tripods, dollies, multiple cameras, generators and lighting
- Requirement for tents and/or marquees
- Production trucks and cars
- Requirement for reserved parking
- Requirement of a traffic management plan
***Please note FSPL venue hire rates are applicable for Major impact filming***
Media Filming Guidelines
Fed Square welcomes news media, including weather crosses; however media are required to seek permission to be onsite at Fed Square. Media activities must not interrupt or interfere with general operations or events.
Live crosses are permitted with prior arrangement. Please be aware that parking on Swanston Street/ Swanston Street Loading Dock is at your own risk. Fed Square cannot guarantee onsite parking access will be available. Parking permits may be available if required for media.
To request site access permission, please contact:
Senior PR + Communications Advisor
Ph: 9665 1945
Fed Square Businesses
Cultural institutions and restaurants/cafes in Fed Square are privately owned and operated. If you wish to conduct filming or photography in any of these locations please contact them directly for permission.